SMITHERS, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Two 1.0 FTE ( flexible) positions available.
All Nurse Practitioners, at last! The long-awaited opportunity to find a permanent professional position in beautiful Smithers, BC, is presenting itself!
The Bulkley Valley Witset PRIMARY CARE NETWORK (PCN), a collaborative partnership of the Witset Nation, First Nations Health Authority, Northern Health, and the Pacific Northwest Division of Family Practice invites applications from Nurse Practitioners, to join our new Nurse Practitioner and Family Physician collaborative: the Smithers Primary Care Clinic. Supported by a comprehensive team of primary care network allied health care providers, this new clinic will offer comprehensive, holistic, patient-centered, culturally safe care to individuals and families in Smithers.
Smithers, situated in the heart of the Bulkley Valley, offers everything needed to balance an exciting, rewarding and innovative career at the forefront of change and renewal with unending leisure, recreation and adventure opportunities. Smithers is a welcoming friendly, artsy, and affordable alpine style community where old and young feel equally at home. Terrific health care colleagues, and affordable housing surrounded by pristine snow-capped mountains and twin waterfalls makes Smithers a perfect place to practice as a Nurse Practitioner. It is not only visitors who return to stay and find a job opportunity, but also children who have grown up in Smithers tend to be “homing pigeons”! That in itself vouches for the integrity of Smithers.
Explore the beauty and activities our stunning Valley has to offer:
• Fly directly to Smithers, the airport is 4 km from downtown
• Enjoy a myriad backcountry hiking and mountain biking trails, where you just might stumble upon an open-air piano inviting you to the keyboard…
• Endless swimming, canoeing, white water rafting and fishing opportunities beg a visit on stunning lakes and rivers
• Visit our museum and library, numerous galleries, unique little shops and quaint restaurants, artisan beer breweries, outdoor bakeries too, or meet friends after work at one of our buzzing street cafés
• Drop in at one of the Spa’s, Fitness studios, Yoga, ballet and dancing classes
or do you have a yen for violin, guitar or piano lessons? It’s all here in Smithers!
• Famous 4 day Mid Summer Music Festival, with international, national as well as local artists performing
• Bulkley Valley’s Fall Fair is coming up soon, with all it has to offer
• Participate in a soccer, volleyball, or martial arts team
• Come play our inviting yet challenging 18 hole Golf Course
• Two ice rinks
• An indoor heated swimming pool, climbing wall, squash courts, several gyms add to the variety
• In our winter season, this very same summer paradise changes to a Winter-Wonderland – the powdery ski runs of Hudson Bay Mountain [just 30 minutes from town] have been described by some visiting celebrities as ‘the best kept secret” in Canada
• Try ice fishing the lakes hiking, and x-country skiing or snowmobiling on the never-ending number of trails…
• Shopaholics are well catered for by way of specialty- as well as fashion stores,
• Just join some of the various groups in the activities you are interested in, and instantly become part and parcel of our vibrant, warm and outgoing community,
• Smithers boasts several schools, faith communities as well as Coast Mountain College
• Join our local Pacific Northwest Division of Family Practice for networking opportunities with regional and local health care providers
We are just waiting to welcome you to our lovely Valley and offer our assistance as far as possible in helping you to relocate, transition and become a treasured member of our community.
About Primary Care Networks:
Primary Care Networks or PCNs are characterized by the following attributes:
• processes to ensure all people in a community have access to quality primary care and are attached within a PCN,
• provision of culturally safe care,
• provision of extended hours of care, including early mornings, evenings and weekends,
• provision of same-day access for urgently needed care through the PCN or an urgent primary care centre,
• provision of comprehensive primary-care services through networking of primary-care providers and teams, to include maternity, inpatient, residential, mild/moderate mental health and substance use, and preventative care,
• co-ordination of care with diagnostic services, hospital care, specialty care and specialized community services for all patients and with particular emphasis on those with mental-health and substance-use conditions, those with complex medical conditions and/or frailty and surgical services provided in community, and
• clear communication within the network of providers and to the public to create awareness about and appropriate use of services.
The following Allied Health Professionals will provide support to the Bulkley Valley Witset Primary Care Network: psychologist, physiotherapists, occupational therapist, dietitian, kinesiologist, perinatal nurse, chronic disease management nurse, and pharmacy, Indigenous Wellness Provider, mental health clinician.
If relocating into the region, our PCN team can offer a variety of supports to assist you and your family’s integration into the community. We can connect you to rental property owners or real estate agents, as well as any number of community services/resources you might be interested in, i.e., schools, recreation facilities, or just answer some questions. We gladly offer assistance with a possible site visit, tour of the community, introduction to the medical community and assist with integrating you into the clinic team and building your panel.